Monday, January 26, 2009

Of course it's all about me, it is my blog after all.


I can't even remember how this started but I know that I asked to play along. Sher over at SHer the Love sent me 5 questions about me. Who knew that they would require so much thought and introspection on my part? And who knew that when I finally got the gonads to answer the questions honestly and post them, I would feel a little narcissistic? I guess we all are to a certain level are we not?
Anyway, here's the email and the questions.......

Hey there Melissa!

Here are the questions I came up with. Sorry, if they're lame, or if you've already answered some of them on your blog.
I thought it would be more fun to get to know you if I asked some thought provoking questions, so here you go.

Thanks!
Love, SHer

1. How did you and your hubby meet? How long did you date? How did he propose?
Splenda Daddy and I met on a blind date my senior year in high school. The date was November 6th 1983. I had just moved out, and it was my first weekend on my own. I shared a house with some girlfriends who had graduated the year before. My BFF at that time was dating SD's BFF and thought we would like each other. The minute I saw him, I immediately felt like I was in over my head! He was a MAN! Not a kid in high school! 5 o'clock shadow and all! But after my initial butterflies, I was caught. Hook, line and sinker. Once I met him, there was no other. We were "promised" by Valentine's day and got married a week after I turned 18 in 1984. We were both raised in the LDS faith but neither was active at the time. About 10 years into our marriage we grew up a little bit and embraced the gospel. We got sealed as a family in 1995. There was no formal proposal, just one night he started talking like he was going to break up with me and instead gave me the promise ring (tease). Now, 24 - almost 25 years later, he is still my one and only. Scary how much you can love a person isn't it? I can't imagine life or eternity without him. We have fun, we make each other laugh, and we have been through so much together it's unreal. He is my ultimate BFF!

2. If you were told you had only 1 year left to live, what would you do? What would you change, if anything, in your life? I would immediately quit work and spend every single day with family and friends. If I had the money, I would travel to all the places that I love or have wanted to see. Taking all my loved ones with me. Cancun would be my first stop and then Europe, particularly Spain and Scotland to learn more of my heritage. I don't know that I would have changed anything except the period of my life that I chose not to live the gospel principles. However, that's hard because then I wouldn't have met SD. I guess, your life happens the way it happens and there is no looking back, only forward. I would definitely have taken school more serious and been more passionate about learning while I was young and still had the brain cells to do it.

3. What is your life's passion. Tell us about why, and how you came to love that thing. My life's passion is people. I know that sounds weird. But really, people. I love meeting new people, I love to be surrounded by people all the time and I love to people-watch. I could and often do, to the chagrin of SD, carry on conversations with complete strangers. I love getting to know what makes people tick and I enjoy the diversities that so many different people in my life have brought. I love the fact that I have finally learned that I can love someone different than me. I can see and embrace the differences and not allow them to hold me back from some very rewarding experiences. Also, that when I take off my judgemental glasses (need to do that more), I can see so much good in others and that when I really try hard, I can let that good build me up and I can aspire to emulate their positive qualities. i just love people! Why? I have no idea, but I do know, I have been this way my entire life. Shy is NOT in my repertoire.

4. What would you consider to be your greatest accomplishment in life, other than having a family. This is hard. Of course family. Although sometimes I feel like it's not an accomplishment at all. If it was, wouldn't I have perfect kids? So, looking elsewhere for accomplishment. I think it's the fact that I could overcome the many challenges I faced growing up and am actually a stand-up, productive member of society. That I can acknowledge my childhood and it's trauma's and not let it interfere with who I can become. I see it for what it was, know that I am, to an extent defined by it, but also understand that I am a work in progress and all things in our lives are part of the polishing and refining we need. I like to think I have a unique perspective on some things simply because of my experiences. Just like anyone really.

5. What is your greatest weakness. Why? (If this is to personal, then tell us what your favorite food is or something)Mmmmmmm favorite food? Pizza, Mexican and a damn good steak! : ) Weakness. Wow, introspection begins. It would be interesting to see what others thought my greatest weakness is. But you aren't asking everyone else are you? Okay, enough stalling. I think my greatest weakness would have to be my snarky, judgmental, sarcastic side that surfaces more than my kind, soft and empathetic side does. Who am I to judge another? Really. I know that in my heart, but most of the time, that is just how my brain works. Spot on immediate judgements. And if that isn't enough, I usually can't keep my big mouth shut. I figure if I am thinking it, then everyone MUST be wanting to know. I think that is self-centeredness and pride. Two qualities that I KNOW need to be reigned in and given the boot. Working on it, really I am. Which would be one of the reasons I love SHer's bucket filler's. For a few minutes every day, I reign it in and think good positive thoughts!

Well, there you have it. I really must thank the wonderful SHer for these questions that made me think and think hard. Great exercise in self-acknowledgement and resolution to work harder.

If your interested in playing along, let me know. I would love to learn more about YOU!

11 comments:

Jan said...

Great get to know questions. Pretty deep stuff. I am thinking that you are a constant barrel of fun. So much spunk and sass. In good ways. I bet you are the life of the ward party.

I wish I had your social skills too. I would love the desire of being surrounded by people all the time. What a gift and blessing to feel like that. I do love diversity and also people, just overwhelmed in bigger social settings.

Splenda Daddy sounds splendid. I am glad you met the man. Go get some pizza with him this weekend.

Erin said...

Hee hee, you said gonads.

Okay, really that was great. I love the story of how you and SD met. And I love the phrase "take off my judgmental glasses." I tend to think I'm not judgmental until I realize I am being judgmental. I've got to watch that.

Great questions, and great answers!

Mia said...

Wow that is really good get to know you stuff. Thanks for letting us in to your world.

rychelle said...

there's no way you're old enough to be married 25 years! ;)

Pedaling said...

can i just say,
i am so lucky to be one of your bloggin buddies!
loved this post.
great love story.
interesting past, i can tell.
wonderful outlook on your life.
very intorspective.

nikkicrumpet said...

Wow I always thought snarky was a good thing! Dang does this mean I need to reform? I loved reading this...it was fun to hear about your early dating years. And I love that you and your hubby still feel that spark after so many years. How cool that you get to spend eterenity with your best friend.

Sher said...

Thanks for playing along! I love your answers. I wanted to do something more thought provoking. I like to know the details. And I totally get you on your weaknesses. I have the same habit of everything that comes into my head, goes out my mouth. I need to work on my filter.
Thanks for sharing all these personal things about yourself!!

p.s. AMEN on your "R" post!

tiburon said...

I LOVE that your passion is people. I think that is why I dig you :)

tammy said...

This was so much fun to read. I heart your love story. Okay, email me my questions.

Vanessa said...

I love learning more about people! You have a great story!

Omgirl said...

I am the same way about people and my husband thinks I'm so weird. But I love to get to know people and figure ou what makes them tick. That must be why I liked you right off the bat. And by the way, I always want to know what you're thinking. So don't you dare keep your mouth shut!