Friday, December 5, 2008

I FINALLY found it...


My Christmas Spirit that has been in deep, deep hiding this year, suddenly and unexpectantly made it to the surface tonight. And, if you can believe, in the most unlikely of situations. The Ward Christmas Party.
Yes, I know, you are thinking, c'mon the ward party?? Snot nosed kids running around high on sugar from the cookies being passed out, the line of people with empty plates waiting to fill with the standard roast beef, potatoes, rolls and green beans, the hard metal chairs and the well decorated, but still a gym, surroundings?
The ongoing hum in the background as people are chatting and trying to decide which bowl on the tables is sourcream and which is ranch dressing, the complete and utter chaos as the activities chairman tries to get everyone's attention to at least open this fiasco with a word of prayer? Fighting Chloee to keep from running at full steam and climbing the stage to dismantle the decorations?
This, this is where you find your Christmas Spirit amongst the living hell that for now resembles a cultural hall?
In a word. YES.

Somehow, once Chloee settled down, I got some food in my stomach and we could both sit quiet for a minute, I could take it in. My friends, nay, ward FAMILY, getting together for some good quality love. And then the best of all, the West Jordan High School Madrigals, came on stage to perform. Now, understand, they are a very difficult act to book. This time of year, they are in high demand, but currently we have 5 kids from our ward in the group, so it wasn't too hard to get them on the schedule.
They are adorable, fun and well trained entertainers. By the last song, yes, there were tears in my eyes, and my cold, black heart had softened and began to beat with a serious Christmas thump! I left feeling like, okay, holiday season - BRING IT! I am now ready for ya!
Next up, can we swing getting to the Festival of Trees before tomorrow night's end??? That would seal the deal!

3 comments:

Trevor, Brianna, Alivia, Tayvree, and Avynlee Hansen said...

so i really had to catch up on your posts since i've been a blogger slacker!! you are a funny aunt you know!!! you make me laugh!! i thought that baby video is pretty hilarious, and loved the lights video!! awesome!!!

Just SO said...

Very cool that you found that Spirit. Mine's coming in fits and spurts. It's harder this year.

Thanks for coming to check out my blog. :)

Natalie said...

The Madrigals are amazing, huh? I loved your description of a ward party...you described it perfectly. We need to figure out how to get the Christmas spirit around here.