Sunday, February 8, 2009

Spiritual Sunday with missionaries and birthdays!


Wow - what a great Sunday! Had a farewell and homecoming all in the same meeting! I know we aren't really supposed to call them that anymore, but hey, I just can't find a better way.
The farewell was for one of my "boys" CM. One of Elder L's life long besties. He will be serving in the Melbourne, Australia West mission. It's been a long couple of months getting ready for him, but it's finally here! Elder L is very excited for him and I know CM will do a fantastic job. I'll be a little sad to not have him hanging around any more, and there is one less boy that I am feeding and hearing call me Mom, but that's okay. I'm so very happy for him.After the meeting, we went to the M's house for eating and visiting. The remaining "boys" came over and hung out for one last time with Chris.l-r Jeff, Brock, Reggie, Scott,Kristin,Griff and Tuffy l -r Brock, Scott, Tuffy, Christopher, Griffin and Reggie. We all hung out there for a little bit until the Chunch had had enough and needed a nap.
While she rested, I had a chance to ponder over the second speaker, the homecoming, Elder Trevor was a good buddy of my oldest son C. They grew up together, but in high school kind of went different ways. But Trev spent a lot of time at our house when he was younger. He said something quite profound in his talk. He was speaking about his different companions and that some of them were very difficult. He shared that when you have relationship problems, the real problem generally rests on you. He then used the story of the Savior with his disciples that last supper night. He reminded us that the Savior announced to his disciples that one of them was going to betray Him that night. Important to note that each of the disciples asked "Lord is it I?" They did not ask "Is it him? (pointing to one), or is it going be him? (pointing to another). Instead they looked to themselves. I thought that was a very profound analogy and thought. It made me want to do that more in my relationships with others, and when there becomes problems, instead of pointing out what I think the other person might be wrong about, focus on what I am doing wrong.
Trevor served in the New Jersey area. His most challenging areas were Camden and Trenton. He described the slums that he tracted in and how if he were not wearing his name badge, he would have never felt safe in those areas. His description of the lifestyles of those people living in the projects was very sad. He stated that every single person in the room, had more than those people and extended a challenge for a prayer this week that asked for nothing. Simply express gratitude.Whats funny, is he actually came back with a bit of a Jersey accent! His report was amazing and I can't believe how this kid has changed!

The last excitement of the day was that it was one of my very BESTIE BFF's birthday! Deb's and I have been friends for over 20 years now. We raised our families right across the street from each other. Our kids have been back and forth in each others homes for their entire childhoods. We have years of sweet fun memories, and I love her dearly. She is like a sister to me.Happy Happy Birthday Deb's!

So there you have it, a great Sunday! Saw some old friends, spent time with people who are like family and was spiritually uplifted by the young men who have served and are leaving to serve missions. Again, I respect anyone willing to step away from their lives for two years and do nothing but serve others. Of course my thoughts were turned to my Elder L and can't wait to hear from him tomorrow.

A couple of side notes this weekend - I got attacked by a cat (left a big bite mark on my hand), walked into a wall in the middle of the night (bruise on my left eye brown) and Chloee has taken to climbing out her crib. Things learned from these mishaps? A good cat is a cat under my tire tread. Turn on the light when walking around the house in the middle of the night. And gut it up and turn the crib into the toddler bed.

Hope your Sunday was just as enlightening!

8 comments:

Jan said...

This is anything but a day of rest for you girl. wow. A holy Sunfest. Happy Birthday Debs. And congrats to the missionaries and then all that you learned. I would say well spent. Thanks Melissa. Have a great week.

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

WOW, what a great day you had! I loved the pictures and your stories too! Wonder thoughts.
And the lessons you learned...I loved them! LOL (Hope you hand is better!)

Pedaling said...

those are the kind of sundays i like;
except for the cat biting and head banging part.

tiburon said...

I love how everyone was dressed up and you were sporting the sweatshirt.

Nice touch. ;)

tammy said...

I really need to apply this to my relationship with my MIL. But it's just so easy to think she's the one with the problem.

Elisa said...

I love that analogy of the Last supper. I needed to hear that today.

kimberly said...

At least somebody had an uplifting Sunday. I totally sluffed church, after all it was stake conference isn't that a free day?

Pedaling said...

so where is the bloggy meet up on the 21st? and why didn't i know about it?
fill me in.