Thursday, February 26, 2009

Erupting volcano in southern Chile - Elder L is safe


For those who are wondering, yes we are aware of the volcano that is erupting in Chitean, Chile. It was the same one that erupted last May and basically wiped out the small city.

At the time of last year's eruption, Elder L was close enough to see the ash and clouds as it erupted and assisted as they evacuated the city's occupants to his then area.
Where he is serving now, is about 100 miles away from the volcano. So probably close enough to see the dust and ash, but certainly not in any imminent danger. Click here to link to a news story that gives a good outline of what happened last year and what is happening now and a video. Or click here for some awesome photos.
I'm glad he is where he is now, as his last sector was even closer to the volcano which apparently is in danger of further eruptions.

Thanks for your concern and thoughts, I can't wait until Monday to hear what he knows about it!

11 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I'm so glad he's OK!

dubb and dawni said...

Elder L and all the missionary's will be in my prayers tonight!

tammy said...

I was freaked out for a minute!!! Glad he's okay. Ditto on them being in my prayers.

Martha H. said...

I'm so glad he's safe.

Brittany Marie said...

How frightening! I'm glad he's safe!

My husband Que went to Bolivia on his mission. Luckily he was there in between government coups.

Brittany Marie said...

I don't know where I was going with that comment. The point is, I'm glad he's safe!

Just SO said...

I'm glad to hear he is safe! Prayers for those people and missionaries who are closer to the eruption.

AS Amber said...

Whew! I can't imagine how scary it must be at times to know your kids are far, far away. Good thing he's being protected!

kado! said...

Those are some pretty Awesome/amazing photos!

Glad he is OK!

tiburon said...

I am so glad he is safe!!!

How scary :|

Omgirl said...

Did you read what that clip said? it hasn't erupted for 9,000 years, completely dormant, and then BOOM! Can you say "last days???" I'm glad he's safe.