Monday, February 16, 2009

The Definition of: Melissa


I got a phone call this morning informing me that if I did not play along with this meme game, that I was going to "get my teeth kicked in." Now I kinda happen to like me teeth. They're not perfect, but they are not hideous. They are nice. So that threat was enough to get me shaking in my crocs and starting to think about what I could possibly say to define myself. In the Shark's words, which I have to agree "This was not an easy list to create - it is hard to toot your own horn. But I think that is part of what makes this post so interesting. Everyone needs to toot their own horn from time to time. Beep Beep!"

The idea here is define who you are - what seven things, traits or qualities make up who YOU are?

So for whatever it means to anyone else, here goes, this is ME:

1. Mi familia. I honestly would not be who I am today without my grandparents, my parents, my siblings, my husband, my in-laws, my children, my granddaughter and all my various aunts, uncles, and cousins. I have joked before that we are such a tight knit family that we are like a litter of puppies. Growing up, my cousins were more like my best friends. My grandparents provided direction and stability, when my parents couldn't. My dad taught me important life lessons in the short 14 years I had him. My Mom still teaches me important lessons by her life example. My bro and his wife my SIL are some of my dearest, and truest friends. We have been through hell and back together and have more inside jokes that any two couples should have. My sisters, while we weren't close growing up, are my dear friends now and I know that they are just a call or a text away. I have an aunt and uncle who are donating to my son's mission fund. Think about that, Luke is their great-nephew. And they choose to help. Literally, my family would fall on the sword for each other. My own little brood of 6 is the same way. A litter of puppies. I seriously have been blessed beyond any stretch of what I deserve with my family.

2. Friends. I was promised once on a very special occasion that I would be blessed with many friends and that they would support and sustain me when I needed them. That phrase could not be any more true. I consider friends as an extension of my family. I feel like I have BFF's in every aspect of my life. At home, at church, at work, at the gym, in my neighborhood, in my ward and here on the dubya dubya dubya. Friends whom I have never even met face to face, but that I feel like have become part of my ever growing "circle". I've always made new friends easily, and quickly. And once that relationship gets established, I love you forever. Now, that being said, I am NOT the best person at keeping up with friends. I'm not the super thoughtful kind that gives fun little treats and presents and remembers special occasions etc. I'm not creative and crafty that way. But know this, if you're my friend, I think of you a lot and love you deeply.

3. Loyalty. This comes next because it tag teams with the first two. I am extremely loyal. And I expect it in return. If we are family, if we are friends, I am BEYOND loyal. I am a staunch supporter and defender. No one EVER dares to talk crap about my family or friends in my presence. They do? They hear about it from me. I am not afraid of a confrontation when it comes to defending those whom I love. That being said, if we're friends and you betray me, then all bets are off and we're done. I refuse to surround myself with people who I can't trust. Life is too short to spend it with people that are so much work. There are too many great people in the world to have as friends and allies's that no one needs to let themselves be drug down by someone mean or not trustworthy. If I'm asked to keep a secret. It goes into the vault.

3. Dingy. It's true. I used to be really smart. At least, I used to feel pretty smart. But as time goes on, and I get older, I realize, I am kind of an airhead. I'm okay with it. Really. I understand that about myself and accept it. And when others laugh at me, I really am okay with it. I laugh at myself all the time. For example, I can watch a movie, or read a book and at that moment, get it, love it, enjoy it etc. An hour later, I probably can't tell you a whole lot about it or specific details. Things just don't retain in my brain anymore. Now, some movies I can quote over and over again simply because I have seen them a gazillion times. I can't follow simple instructions like I used to. I really am no good at processing a lot of information at once in my brain. So if I misspeak or quote a number or something and it's wrong, I'm not lying, I just probably don't remember it accurately. I am however, excellent with directions. I can usually find an address the first time no problem. And once I have been to a particular place. I can get there again quite easily. I can recognize places very good and even in a building can usually tell which direction I am headed (east, west etc). Even better, I can tell you the cleanest and best rest rooms, which gas stations have the best ice, diet coke and vanilla shots from here to St George. I can give anyone directions to anyplace just by food coordinates.

4. My faith. My religion very much defines who I am. If I didn't have the belief system that I have, I would definitely be a different person. I would make a lot of different choices. And most definitely I would have a cool tattoo. However, I have a strong and firm belief in my faith and it's principles and that ultimately drives my day to day decisions. I'll be honest and say that while there are some things outside my religion that seem appealing, I would never make choices that include them because of my firm faith. And though my number 6 defining characteristic may contradict this one, I do believe strongly and undoubtedly in my religion, it's values, principles and though I fall short most of the time, do try my hardest to live by them. I feel overwhelmingly grateful that I have my faith and belief's. I could not be who and where I am now without them. My testimony and faith have seen me through some tough times and will continue to keep me going.

5. Outgoing/Be in charge or leading/Competitive/Public speaker/Happy. I sort of rolled it all into one, since I can't really nail it to a one word definition. I can talk in front of people. Many people. I can talk to people. Anyone. I can strike up a conversation and continue a conversation with complete strangers and enjoy doing so. Again, much to the chagrin of Splenda who would rather go unnoticed 100% of the time. I love people, and love to be surrounded by people. I am never lonely. Even when I am completely alone, I still find ways to connect with someone somewhere. I love teaching in church. Adults, children, teens, whomever. I don't mind speaking in church at all. Not afraid to bear my testimony and do frequently. Not afraid to do presentations in large groups. I'm more comfortable being in the spotlight than not. I'm uber competitive. With myself and with others that I class myself (in my own head) with. To me there is no such thing as "just a game". If you play anything, you play to win. What's the point otherwise? To have fun? Winning is having fun. But above all else, I am generally a very happy person.

6. I am irreverent, immature, and inappropriate. I will pretty much say exactly what is on my mind whether it is appropriate or not. I have a potty mouth, that only gets restraint at church (and sometimes not even then). I find humor in just about anything and everything whether I should or not. Many times, the filter that should exist between my thoughts and my mouth is shut off. Which means, I am a huge source of embarrassment for my husband who is the most quiet, conservative, wall flower ever. Some people have told me they find this endearing and others have clearly not. I used to be more careful about gauging who/what I can/should say, but as I have gotten older, not so much. Filter is weaker and weaker and I figure, this is just who I am. I have always been this way, no sense in trying to be something I am not. I think people either really like me or really don't. 'Sokay.

7. I'm completely ADD. I have the attention span of a gnat. I cannot foc - oooh look something shiny!


And I tag each and every one of you! Take the challenge, I would love to know the definition of YOU!

12 comments:

nikkicrumpet said...

Very nice....was fun to see what makes you tick....and to know that threats work wonders lol

tiburon said...

First of all - I find it HYSTERICAL that you did #3 TWICE. And that one of the items was that you are DINGY. I almost wet myself.

tiburon said...

I wouldn't want to live in a world where irreverent Melissa didn't exist.

tiburon said...

Oh and I so won't kick your teeth in now.

Bravisimo!

Jan said...

You are so sassy and funny and all around great. Loved your list and all the little Melissa's that shown through. You could feel your energy. I am now officially hyper and I need to quiet down for beddy bye.

You are a hooter.

Pedaling said...

i for one can be counted as one that really like you.
great list.
i loved the part about your family and loyalty, best.

tammy said...

I used to be a lot smarter too. What happened there?

deb@virginia blue said...

SUCH a wonderful list!
And just so you know...I'd totally have a tattoo as well...if I wasn't trying to be obedient and all ;)

veronica said...

I love your list! And I am with you on the tatoo but I might need a belly button piercing as well. Just sayin'.

Omgirl said...

You and I are EXACLY alike on #5. I could have read that and thought I wrote it about myself. It was fun to read this about you! I think you are oh so cooeelle.

Vanessa said...

"The Shark" threatend me if I didn't do this...guess I should.

I love that you are outgoing!! We can both be in charge at the same time.

MAYBE I'll see you Saturday if I can swing it!

Trevor, Brianna, Alivia, Tayvree, and Avynlee Hansen said...

K I LOVE this post!!! LOVE IT!!! You are awesome!! Yeah and I know what you mean by the filter being weak that is a problem I have too!! And I keep trying to fix it and it's hard!!! love ya, keep being you!!!