Sunday, April 12, 2009

Spiritual Sunday


One certainly can't go to Easter services without being spiritually uplifted. Today was no exception. It started with our Bishop asking us to take some extra time to think about the Savior during the sacrament, and though we spend the entire hour and 10 minutes trying to keeping Sissy entertained, today she was a little easier to keep occupied and I could direct my thought more in the direction they needed to be.

Then we had a speaker who did a great job talking about the Savior's resurrection and using the scriptures, he brought up many great points to ponder and analogies to liken to our lives. One stuck out in particular. He talked about the stone in front of the sepulchre where Christ's body had been laid and that the women who came to annoint his body questioned, who will move the stone for them. He likened the stone to obstacles we have in our lives that keep us or block us from the Savior. Could it be pride, blaming others, sin, obedience? And who will move those obstacles for us?

I couldn't help but begin thinking of my obstacles or stones that I allow to keep me from being as close to the Savior as I should. And really, the only person who can move those for me are me. I have help with the Savior, but I have to be the one to acknowledge the stones and actively seek to remove those obstacles.
It was a great lesson for me and I was grateful for the opportunity to self evaluate my own personal relationship and what I could do better.

Then in YW - the teacher taught a lesson on the women's responsibility to support and honor the priesthood. The one point that stood out to me was to pray for my priesthood leader(s). Starting with Splenda. The dude is seriously a GOOD, GOOD man, and I could do more to support him in not only his very time consuming calling in church, but as the patriarch of our home. As the priesthood leader in my own life, I can do more to sustain and support him. I am lucky to have such a righteous man, who tries very hard to do the right things and works hard to fulfill his responsibilities. I left YW's feeling very humbled.

Great Sunday lessons today. I came away from church not only uplifted but with a renewed sense of appreciation and responsibility. I hope I can carry this with me and not let it die by the time the alarm goes off tomorrow morning......

5 comments:

deb@virginia blue said...

Great post, Melissa!

So many wonderful nuggets of wisdom to ponder. I LOVE Sundays like that.

rychelle said...

great post.
i love this time of renewal.

tiburon said...

I am so glad you learned lots. I hope you learned enough for me too. Since I didn't get to go and all....

Becca said...

Thanks for sharing. I loved that analogy and I really didn't get much out of our meeting, big surprise considering the 4-on-1 wrestling matches we too call sacrament meeting. It's good to have someone put in extra tidbits here and there for me. Thanks for sharing!

tammy said...

Thanks for sharing those thoughts. Sounds like a really good talk in Sac. Mtg. Might have to remember that.

I spent all Sac. Mtg. being nervous as I played for the choir. But I had the hawtest new shoes. Too late for your hooker heels contest, of course.