Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas Traditions - Installament Six

Every year, the Monday before Christmas, I actually break down, put myself in the kitchen and *cough* bake.

Okay, I said BAKE!  I can only do a few things culinary wise and Pumpkin Dessert is one of them.  Even I have to admit, it's pretty good.  It's become a family tradition that we take in a batch to share with our co-workers for Christmas.

Well since there are 4 of us working now, I was up this morning at 5am baking 4 different Pumpkin Desserts.
This picture totally doesn't do it justice.  I should have checked my camera settings, and done a better job but trust me - it's GOOOOOOOD!

Without fail, I am always asked for the recipe, and since I not "one of those" people who won't share, here you go:

1 yellow cake mix
1 can Libby's Pumpkin Pie mix (not the regular canned pumpkin - but the pumpkin pie mix)
3/4 cup milk
3 eggs
3/4 cup butter or margarine (needs a soft consistency to mix)
and additional 1/4 butter or margarine (same mixable consistency)
1/4 up sugar
cinnamon

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees

Take one cup of the cake mix and set aside in a separate bowl.
Spray or grease a 9/13 cake pan

To the remaining cake mix, add 3/4 cup margarine or butter and 1 egg.
Mix until moist/crumbly but not sticky.  Press into the bottom of the cake pan

Combine the pumpkin pie mix, 3/4 cup milk and 2 eggs.  Pour over the layer in the pan

To the remaining 1 cup of cake mix, add 1/4 cup sugar and generous sprinkling of cinnamon.  Sift together and then add 1/4 butter/margarine.
Mix to a crumbly consistency (not sticky) and crumble over the pumpkin layer.

Bake for 1 hour.

I love to serve it warm with cool whip, but it's also just as good chilled.

Let me know how you like it!

7 comments:

CB said...

Wow you cook? I love it - this looks good too :-D
I baked today too - looks like my one and only baking day since it has been a busy month. Now I just feel sick.

gigi said...

I love pumpkin and this looks wonderful. It's a keeper. Merry Christmas.

" Hit It......." said...

I love your attitude about cooking. It's mine as well..(gulp). I actually would like to try this one.

I love your sense of humor!

Ann Marie said...

I love pumpkin cakes.. and I have never tried this recipe! I am going to try it! :)

Martha H. said...

I look forward to this every year. It is the yummiest, nummiest pumpkin dessert EVER! Thanks for sharing it with us.

tammy said...

Mmmm....can I make it for breakfast?

Teachinfourth said...

Man, looks delicious…now if I weren't so lazy...