Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My Marine Weekend - El ultimo capitulo

Subtitled:  Why I think TSA sucks.

I had to be up first so that I could shower and get all my stuff packed for the boys to take in the car.  It was a little hectic making sure that everyone had everything.  The boys got on the road about 6:00 or so, with the goal of being home in time to pick us up from the airport. They had a quick stop at Pendleton to pick up Corby and then on their way.

'dawg, Sis and I went to breakfast again at O'Hungry's and then went back to sleep for a while.  It felt good to just rest and heaven knows Sissy needed a serio nap!  Waking up at 5am does not suit her!

We caught the shuttle to the airport and with boarding passes in hand, headed straight for the security line.  We didn't have Sissy's bag, so I expected to go through rather easily.  I had the lotion in my purse, but it got through once before I figured I was safe.  I had a full size bottle of Children's Tylenol (liquid) that I thought for sure they would toss with the saline solution that were in our bags.

Sissy and I went first.  This time TSA let me carry her through, which was good cause girl was ornery and I was dreading a scene.  But of course, an issue with my purse.  The lotion got tossed, but we kept the Tylenol and saline solution??  Love the consistency with the TSA - NOT!  'dawg got stopped and they took his few liquid toiletries.

We had plenty of time at the gate so we went in search of food.  Once Sissy got a belly full - she was pleasant as can be!  In fact, with a 3 year old around, who needs TV?  She is entertainment enough!

The trip home was uneventful.  Southwest is great.  Sissy was well behaved and people were kind and appreciative towards 'dawg. 
When we landed in SLC  we braced for the cold and snow and starting calling Splenda to see where they were and if they were going to come get us.

Apparently their drive home was quite so uneventful.  A little north of Beaver, UT - a snow storm hit hard and fast.  The interstate was shut down and they were turned around to wait it out in that tiny little town.  For.Three.Hours.

Suddenly, I didn't fee quite so tired or cranky.
Plan B - called back up picker-upper.  She was on the verge of puking.  No go.
Plan C - back up - back up picker upper.......  : )  Thank you Scooter and Roboito

As we waited for them, I people watched and tried to keep Sis from going bonkers and yet ANOTHER period of just sitting around and waiting.

I watched the other people from our flight come to the baggage claim, meet their friends and family waiting for them and get their luggage.  Pretty soon it dwindled out and everyone was gone except for one lone bag that went around, and around on the carousel.  Finally the, carousel stopped, but no one came to get the bag.  We happened to be sitting right next to a TSA desk and I wondered if they were watching that bag too.
They were watching something on a computer screen but not paying any attention to what was right in front of them.  I looked back at the bag.  An ordinary suitcase.  Back to the TSA agent.  He couldn't care less.

I figured sure, the bag had been through screening once before, but who knows what could have happened to that bag while it was in the middle of a bunch of people who DID NOT go through security.  Someone could have easily taken the bag off the carousel as if it was theirs, place something inside it (explosive) and then put back as if they realized that it wasn't theirs and disappear in the crowds.  That easy folks. They could have entered from the ground and never had gone through security.  Am I the only one not seeing the gaping hole here?
I decided that in my opinion, TSA is pretty much worthless.  At least the agents that I encountered this trip.  I even said OUT LOUD to 'dawg.  "Look at that bag that has been sitting there for awhile.  No one is doing anything about it.  Hope it doesn't blow up"
TSA didn't even bat his eye.

Our ride got there, we loaded and headed home.
I was grateful for the nice weekend with my family, watching my son achieve a huge accomplishment and having a fun adventure with Sissy.
But NGL - I was tired and ready to be home

And finally, even though some of our trip was kind of a bust - the most important reason we were going is for 'dawg and when all is said and done - nothing can take away that experience from me.
I said this once before, but I have to say it again:  I will never look at a Marine the same again.  Nor his Mother, his wife, his family.  There is something unique and wonderful about being  a part of this great new family.  I love them.

Semper Fi


Mae Rae said...

how awesome is it to have him home? This was great to read.

Splenda's driving skills are to be commmended as well.

Scrappy Girl said...

I am glad you all are home safe. Loved reading all about your adventure...bummer on all that old rain.

Vanessa said...

I just read all of your posts and ma now caught up. What a great experience for all of you! He has grown so much!

Sorry for the crappy weather. Sea World would have been fun.


Congratulations to you and your amazing son! I am so sad the rain had to spoil some of the fun.
Semper FI

tammy said...

The only thing consistent with the TSA is their inconsistency. They're a huge bunch of fail. I have so many stories....like the one where they didn't even notice I'd given them the wrong security doc and not the one for the flight I was going on. Then there was the TSA agent in SLC who was more concerned with this woman's cleavage than anything else.

Glad you made it home. And thanks for texting me while you were sitting in PHX!! I would've called you if I wasn't going to get set apart for my scary new calling.

tammy said...

(p.s. I'm glad SWA was nice to you)

Teachinfourth said...

It always feels nice to get home with everyone safe and sound...

Missy said...

WoW! What a trip! She looks so cute with the messy face!

tiburon said...

I am glad you made it home - and I completely agree that TSA sucks but that was only because they detained me!

Love the sign too ;)

LKP said...

glad to hear you're all happy and together again! sending oodles of love from the Ranch to you & yours. ::hugs::

LKP said...

reading about all the marine traditions and the precision with which 'dawg observes them all....gosh, it just made my heart swell to hear. what an honor to live vicariously through your family's experiences! catmull's ROCK!!!!!

Cherie said...

Sorry I am a little late to this party. I didn't get on my computer last week. Anywho, I have caught up with all of your Marine posts and in a word and besides TSA - I am so happy for you and your family.

P.S. You look stinkin' sexy in marine gear - lol!!

CountessLaurie said...

Catching up on my reading. sounds like an amazing weekend. So proud of 'dawg.

That snow storm makes my belly hurt. I am so not looking forward to winter...