Monday, November 27, 2017

Trip of a Lifetime - Chapter 15; part C - The ultimate experience in Jerusalem

Day 14 continued.... in the afternoon we went to the Old City and the church of St Ann Where the pools of Bethseda are located
Scripture reference: John 5:1-9
(an A site)


I loved this place for the instruction by the Holy Spirit that I personally received.  The man had been ill for 38 years.  THIRTY EIGHT YEARS he had sat there trying to get in, or hoping someone would help him and he was ignored or pushed aside.  The thought came to me, who are those in my life that need help into the pool of health, healing and happiness that I am not seeing, ignoring or pushing aside (even if it is unintentional)?  I think I miss opportunities every single day where I have the chance to serve someone and I either don't recognize it, or I am so busy with my own life, that I don't take the time to look outward.  I received a testimony that if we focus our lives outward, the Lord will bless us inward.

We then traveled on to Golgotha where we discussed the Savior on the cross, and His last moments.

This is it.  Golgotha. Looking at this picture, I can't see the skull to how you, but it's there.  Not at all how I pictured.  When archaeologists began digging around at the base of the hill and discovered what appeared to be a rock quarry.  That was part of their evidence that this is the exact spot.  It is where the Jews would stone their criminals (all the rocks) and the Romans would crucify theirs.  It basically in a very public place, because the punishment was meted out so everyone could see.  From this, we were told that Jesus was likely hanging slightly above eye level.  That is much different than I imagined based on movies that portray it.  I really loved getting some facts.


It was so humbling to be there and I was surprised that the image I had in my mind was completely different than the real thing.  This was an A site.  Over time, the shape of the skull has slightly changed and not quite easily identifiable but this is a verified A site.  We sat with our thoughts for a few minutes and then walked over to a beautiful garden area with places to sit and discuss he events of that night.
Scripture references:  John 19: 17-30


It was very sacred, quiet and reverent in the gardens.  One of the things that we focused on was the Savior's love for His mother.  One of His last acts was to make sure she was taken care of.  Another point was made that there were three key people there at His feet to witness this event.   I have such an increase of  love for those three: Mary His mother, John, His best friend and Mary Magdalene who was one of His most devoted followers.  Seeing where Golgotha was and where they would have been standing was truly humbling and I could feel on a small scale the pain that they might have felt in knowing there is nothing they can do to ease His pain or stop the crucifixion.  I reflected on one of my favorite hymns we sing in my church while preparing to take the Sacrament and renew our baptismal covenants of being a disciple of Jesus Christ, take His name upon us and recommit to following Him always.  It's found on page 185, in the Latter Day Saint hymnal
  1.  Rev'rently and meekly now,
    Let thy head most humbly bow.
    Think of me, thou ransomed one;
    Think what I for thee have done.
    With my blood that dripped like rain,
    Sweat in agony of pain,
    With my body on the tree
    I have ransomed even thee.
  2. 2. In this bread now blest for thee,
    Emblem of my body see;
    In this water or this wine,
    Emblem of my blood divine.
    Oh, remember what was done
    That the sinner might be won.
    On the cross of Calvary
    I have suffered death for thee.
  3. 3. Bid thine heart all strife to cease;
    With thy brethren be at peace.
    Oh, forgive as thou wouldst be
    E'en forgiven now by me.
    In the solemn faith of prayer
    Cast upon me all thy care,
    And my Spirit's grace shall be
    Like a fountain unto thee.
  4. 4. At the throne I intercede;
    For thee ever do I plead.
    I have loved thee as thy friend,
    With a love that cannot end.
    Be obedient, I implore,
    Prayerful, watchful evermore,
    And be constant unto me,
    That thy Savior I may be.



Text: Joseph L. Townsend, 1849-1942
Music: Ebenezer Beesley, 1840-19061.


The words are the Savior talking to us in first person and I have several phrases memorized for just the times I need them.

From there we went in small groups to the Garden Tomb.  While waiting for our turn, mom and I wandered the gardens.  I found my way back to Golgotha to view it once again and feel the sacredness of the spot.
Scripture reference:  John 20

It was finally our turn to join the line and enter the Garden Tomb which is, for sure, an A site.  This was the actual tomb, that our Lord was resurrected.  I had been waiting all trip for this!

While waiting we were shown this wine press, which clarifies that the man who owned the garden when Jesus was laid in the tomb, was operating a winery.  There seems to be some speculation around it in the Christian world.

Finally our turn!

I didn't know what to expect inside

A gate separates one from the actual stones, but the large rectangle on the left of the photo is where the Savior's body laid.

Looking over the gate - right there on the left was the spot


Some Christians who come here, leave prayers which is those little folded papers you see right behind the bars

As you walk out, you can't miss this

There are no words I can use to describe the feelings I had and the Spirit I felt. Simply no words.  The best I can come up with is that it was witnessed to me that Jesus Christ is indeed our Savior.  That He fulfilled His mission on the earth by providing the new higher law of loving one another and being the perfect example of how to follow that law.  Within that tomb, I felt His love for me as an individual His assurance that me trying to do my best is enough.  We both know of things I need to work on, but at that moment in time, I was enough for Him.  Again, another place where the overwhelming feeling of the Lord's love for me was almost tangible.  Since I've been home, I pull out that memory at least once a day to quiet the negative thoughts I have for myself.  I am okay.  I'm enough.  I just keep trying, but the Lord loves me and I am enough.

As I have been learning about the Muslim and Jewish religions and getting historical background, I have been thinking a lot about my own chosen denomination,  When I forget cultural habits and traditions of all of them, and look at the great big picture, it all makes so much sense to me. It makes sense why the LDS church exists and what it's purpose is and how everything fits together.
An interesting thought that Michael expressed that has stuck with me and has become a motivating force for me (I'm paraphrasing him here):
What if I get to the other side, the pearly gates if you will, and the Lord says, you know Mike, you mormon's got the doctrine right, you got all the pieces, but you were self righteous, exclusive, you judges others harshly, you weren't kind enough to others, you held grudges, and basically a crappy human being to those around you.  I don't care that you have all the right covenants in place, I'm gonna need you to step aside while we sort some things out.

The bottom line is this;  Be a good person!  Be an example of a how Jesus would act.  Serve others.  No need to shove your doctrine down anyone's throat, but LIVE the gospel so it might inspire other's to ask questions and then you can share your happiness. Do your proselyting with your actions and not necessarily your mouth. Use that to always lift others.

The bus ride back to the hotel that night was quiet.  I think we all wanted to be in our heads and fell our own feelings and reflect on our own personal revelation each received today.  No doubt, I walked into that tomb a different person than when I walked out.  It only took a few minutes, but that's how God teaches you.  In your heart.

Looking forward to more Jerusalem in the next post!

***  If you have questions about Mormon's or the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  Feel free to reach out to me.  I'm happy to help.

xoxo
m


No comments: