Friday, November 17, 2017

Trip of a Life Time - Egypt - Chapter 2

That first night sleep, we slept the sleep of the dead.  I mean, how else can one explain the turning off of the alarm and sleeping an extra two hours?

HOLY CRAP!  Mom turned off the alarm and we overslept!  I woke up to her frantic cries and tried to orient myself.  Crap.  Now what?  I think Mom was near to tears since we missed the bus and was missing the day's tour.  The Citadel, the Mosque.  She called down to the front desk and thankfully there was an employee of Fun 4 Less, who just finished a tour and was packing to go home, still there and she gladly made some calls, got a taxi and took us to the museum where we would meet up with our group.  Whew!  We missed the first part, but not to worry, our beautiful scarves would come in handy later.

We arrived at the museum before the group, but the cute Egyptian gal who was with us, stayed until the bus got there and she could successfully hand us over.  Again, armed guards at the outer entrance and more inside the courtyard.  At this point, I didn't feel brave enough to take a picture of one.  I had to keep in mind that I was in a foreign country.  I had no rights here.  If they didn't like something I was doing, I could be detained, thrown in jail and never released.  We were always mindful of their culture and rules.  We were guests in their home, and would act accordingly.

(waiting for our buses to get there)

(the Cairo Museum)



(scenery on the grounds)

(I'm learning quickly that cats are everywhere)



When asked, our tour guides explained that Egypt was very much a third world country. I was already finding that out pretty quick once we left the hotel.  Of course, as is culture in most countries outside the US, you don't flush your toilet paper.  Instead, you clean yourself and then toss it into a garbage
can.


(they also had two flushers on the toilets.  The small one for just liquids and the bigger one if you've got floaters)

I tried hard to remember this, but on occasion, habit would take over and I dropped paper in.  The rules of the road in Egypt are pretty non existent.  If there is room for your vehicle, you go there.  You honk to let others know you;re there.  Not many street lights or stop signs at least if there were, they weren't the universal red octagon.  
(the streets outside the bus window)

( a special game was coming up and this vendor is just standing there, selling right in the street)

I was getting used to everything in Arabic.  Some places had English translation and most of the people in the service industry would speak enough to help you.  On the streets?  Not so much.  Except vendors.  Vendors are EVERYWHERE and AGGRESSIVE.  If you thought shopping in Mexico was bad?  It was ten times worse here.  I learned quickly to not make eye contact, and to say no repeatedly. Mom was the pro.  My friend Kerry was an easy target. He was too soft hearted.  If you looked at them, slowed down, dared to look at their wares or heaven forbid touch one, then you were done.  Might as well throw your money at them.  The term "Fi dolla"  became the running joke in our group.  And if you didn't know how to barter before, you learned quickly.
(photo cred Angie Fenton)

Back to the museum.  Once our tour group got there, our gal passed us off and we were introduced.  Another "oh crap" moment.  They issued us Whispers.  They are receivers that you use with headphones so you can hear the guide talking without having to crowd in.  You can be looking at things and still hear everything said.  Did I grab mine when I left the hotel in a rush? Yes.  Did I grab my headphones?  CRAP!  So today, I spent the entire time we were with the guide, standing as close to him as I could so I could hear everything.

(I'm a nerd and saved all my tickets stubs)


Our guide was an Egyptian man named Achmed.  Yes, I always thought "I keel you" in my head when his name was said.  And if you don't know what I'm talking about google the comedian Jeff Dunaham with a puppet named Achmed.  Our Achmed was the kindest, most patient man.  Think about keeping a group of about 160 people reined in.  Herding kittens.  Achmed the Egyptian Saint.  And by the way, Egyptians are beautiful people.  Their olive skin, dark brown eyes, truly gorgeous people.

Unfortunately, we weren't allowed to take pictures in the Cairo Museum (most parts of it, or if we were, I failed) so I don't have much to document there.  Some fascinating stuff.  All of Egypt's history, and precious artifacts and King Tut's treasure's.  Come cool mummies there too.   It also seemed to be a favorite with local's and students.  We quickly realized that American's seem to be rock stars there.  So many school girls would stare at us, smile and even ask to take selfies with us.  Not one of them spoke English but with gestures and smiles we were able to communicate.  I don't know any of them, but I love them!
(when I got brave enough to ask for one with them on MY phone.  I also loved their hijabs.  I kind of felt like I should wear one to be respectful to them, but then again, maybe it would have been disrespecting their religion.  I loved them)


I also learned that Mom and I tour a little differently.  She likes to go, see and then move on,  She's a fast, efficient one.  I am more of a lingerer.  We usually always started out together but then she'd be up ahead waiting for me.  Good thing we were patient with each other or rather, her with me.

Back on the bus, we learned we were assigned to group one.  They had broken the tour group up in two buses.  The blue bus (us) and the yellow bus.  Then within the bus, couples were assigned to different groups with a group leader that was responsible to make sure everyone in your group was on the bus before it pulled away.  Fun 4 Less is extremely efficient.  I never felt like we would be left behind at any time.  And, when you spend so much time on a bus together, you forge some beautiful friendships.  Thus began our love affair with the Chipmans. The Connelly's, Sharon, Jean and so many others.  Our bus had a special spirit.  Our guides Diane and Rob had done this particular tour many times and their family begged them to do it once more.  They postponed their mission, and most of the bus was their family and friends.  They gathered the rest of us into their family and we seriously had the best time!  I think it was no coincidence that we were assigned to that particular bus.  I also firmly believe that God puts people into our lives at specific times for specific reasons.  I was meant to experience this not only with my mom, but with these outstanding people as well.  I have lovingly dubbed them, "my old mormon folk",  I was the youngest on the bus, but age was no issue.  I love them like family!

(another pic from the bus - notice all the satellite dishes.  For a third world county, they have priorities man!)


Back to the hotel ( International City Stars Hotel) where we could relax and then enjoy a buffet dinner.  Every dinner was a buffet offering in the hotel as well breakfast buffet's in the morning.  While in Egypt however, the water is not clean.  Therefore, no ice, no water other than bottled with the seal intact.  No fresh fruits or vegetables.  Cooked, or peeled was the rule. All that still left plenty of options if you're not a picky eater.  However, I was always able to find enough and I was super grateful for all the snack foods I packed as well.  Especially for lunches since we were always on our own for those.  Best was the fact that Coca Cola Light or Coke Zero were available everywhere we went.  Sometimes, very costly, but at this point, I didn't care.  They had Nectar of the God's and I was going to stay hydrated!
( I always had my notebook and a beverage)

Now that I think about it, I don't think this hotel had the buffet.  We were hooked to the mall and mom swears we ordered a pizza one night with no cheese but I don't remember.  I blame jetlag and old age for not remembering. At any rate, you understand about the buffet system now.  :)

I don't think either Mom or me slept very well that night for fear of missing the alarm again.  Nice to report that we never made that mistake again.  I loved the fact that I had internet to be able to post some pictures and message with my husband.  Always still pinching myself that we were actually here!

Tomorrow held the promise of the Pyramids, the Sphinx and Egyptian Papyrus!


1 comment:

Monique said...

Do we to see pics of what you brought back?