Sunday, November 19, 2017

Trip of a Life Time - Finishing up Egypt - Chapter 5

 Day 6 and 7

Just a  heads up, this a long post with a lot of pictures and commentary.  Here's the thing, we saw so many temples and ancient sites in Egypt that it's hard to keep them strait as I go back and look at pictures.




Some are distinct but are kind of mixed together.  I'll try to make sense of them.

The second morning on the cruise ship, we got up really early and got on some smaller boats and headed to the Philae Islands with it's temple dedicated to the Goddess Isis.  We viewed all of this from a hot air balloon which was so much fun!  Another first for me and mom.  And better, the poor guy that lost his footing and took me down with him felt so bad that he offered to pay for my balloon ride.  I first said no, but then let him to help him feel better.



The sun rise was stunning



Viewing the archeaological dig

Our first balloon ride


Beautiful!


I couldn't help but notice the stark contrast of desert and rock on one side and green, flourishing crops on the other

Crops 

There was a German staying here working as the lead archeologist - It was like a real Indiana Jones

Rooftops of their homes

While the flames are off

Loving the personalized certificate!



We got back on the cruise ship and sailed to the Kom Ombo Temple. 

Seriously the funniest picture!  I didn't even realize that the dude on the left (my right) was making such a funny face!  Of course, since everything is a hustle here, they wanted money for posing in my picture.  And I think I probably made them uncomfortable why touching them on the back.  I forgot my culture rules for a sec


I always loved seeing the women in their hijabs




















An altar in the temple






This says secret lake and that's the next picture but just beyond this sign was a concession stand with Coke Zero and I snagged a couple for my and drinking buddy Kerry at great price of 2.00 bucks each!

The secret lake where the elders would come to cleanse themselves before entering the temple


Of course, no pictures allowed inside, but the crocodile mummies were pretty darn cool.




We took a carriage ride through Edfu to the Edfu temple and enjoyed it's night time light and sound show.  It ended up being quite a long day, but I was getting adapted the rigorous schedule we kept,  10 - 12 hour days, but there really is no way to do it any different.  You have to maximize the time you are given there.
Our tour BFF's.  Kerry and Tamera Chipman with mom and me.


Kerry's outgoing personality of love of everyone made for some fun times and I don't think he even realized what an example he was to me.


The picture is blurry but I was trying to get a pic of our dirty their streets are. Garbage is pretty much everwhere

These tiny cars were driving alongside the carriages











That night we sailed into Luxor and THAT was pretty fantastic.   We visited the Valley of the Kings and King Tut's tomb.  The real king Tut's tomb with his mummy inside!!  Of course, no pictures allowed in there, but let me assure you, it's as cooler than you might think it would.  Absolutely fascinating!  Also visited the best ruins in all of Egypt - Karnack.  So many interesting things!

Achmed explaining some of the hieroglyphics 



Our Achmed




Me and my beloved old mormon folk



One of the days we stopped for a what was called the perfect example of how fast food should be done.  It was run by Druins (similar to Muslims but I'm told they believe in reincarnation)
and it was the best falafel I've ever had!
Taken outside the establishment

I loved this most unusual flower


One of the days we stopped at an Alabaster store. Where we watched them work with it as well as listen to Michael explain the importance of alabaster and the place it took in Jesus Christ's life.  He also noted that box in the bible can be interpreted as vase.

You can find  the same account in both Matthew and Mark of the New Testament.  Luke also documents an account, but it is believed to be two different women.
I found a great quote from President Uchtdorf on this:

"Not surprisingly, the Savior is our perfect example not only of generous giving but also of gracious receiving. When He was in Bethany, near the end of His mortal ministry, a woman approached Him with an alabaster box of rare and expensive oil. She was allowed to anoint His head with this precious gift.Some who witnessed this event became angry. “What a waste of money,” they said. The oil was extremely expensive. It could have been sold and the money given to the poor. They saw only the temporal value of the gift and entirely missed its much greater spiritual significance.But the Savior understood the symbolism and the expression of love in that gift, and He received it graciously.  Let her alone,” He said to those who murmured. “Why trouble ye her? … She hath done what she could: she is come aforehand to anoint my body to the burying.”4My brothers and sisters, my dear friends, what kind of receivers are we? Do we, like the Savior, recognize gifts as expressions of love?"
Something to think about as we enter this Christmas season.  And of course I needed to purchase one for my home.  It sits on my mantle reminding me that, "She hath done what she could"

I worried every time my bags were moved that this would still be intact.  Kudo's to the man who wrapped mine.  It was in perfect condition.  I love what I feel and remind myself every
time I see this.

I AM DOING WHAT I CAN
and in my Savior's eyes, that is enough for now.

We spent the last night on the ship and were looking forward to getting into Israel!