Saturday, November 18, 2017

Trip of a Life Time - Still Egypt - Chapter 4

DeNiel isn't just a river in Egypt!  Oh wait - the Nile IS a river in Egypt!  We woke up this morning, packed our bags and mom went down for breakfast.  We then loaded the buses, and headed to the airport where we flew to Aswan.  In Aswan, we boarded our luxury cruise ship!


Fun 4 Less is very efficient when dealing with our large group and all our luggage.  Blue bus people had blue ribbons on their suitcases.   The yellow bus had yellow obvio.  You would set your luggage outside your doors by the appointed time in the morning for the porter's to take downstairs.  Once you had your breakfast or in my case, my diet coke/coke zero and made your way out to your bus, you identified your pieces of luggage to the porter's and they would then load it on the bus.  You would watch to see them get loaded before you got on.  That way you KNEW you had everything and your stuff was coming with you.  Of course, that doesn't account for anything left in your rooms, but because we rarely stayed in the same room for more than 3 nights or so, we never really unpacked.  We just would get what we needed for each day.  And for the record, mom is a much more efficient packer than I am.  I way over packed but as per usual, I feel like I need to be prepared for any contingency.  It wasn't like we're somewhere in the states or even Mexico where you could find what you needed pretty easily.  Did I leave some things behind on purpose?  Yes, especially towards the end of the trip when I had started loading up on souvenir's.  But I digress.

Back to the ship.  We cruised the Nile for 3 days.  Each day we made stops and saw things but rather than combine so much into one, I'm breaking them up into separate posts.  This one is the ship and it's experience  with pictures alone.  I'll do the stops next.

Let me say that I LOVE cruising!  Absolutely love it!  Of course, this was no huge ship like a Carnival line or something (we are just on the river) but it was perfect!  Each breakfast and dinner was buffet.  We were still in Egypt so the water rule and food rules still applied.   Thankfully, there were plenty of options for food.  I had my first falafel here and fell in love!  I wish I could find a place here at home that has some good falafel.

The deck was nice and there were opportunities to lay in the sun - although it was never really super warm.  I wore a jacket most of the time.  The cabins were much like a regular cruise ship.  Big enough to accommodate without being huge.  We had our own steward who liked to provide us with towel animals each night and tidied up our room every day.  The staff was wonderful.  Friendly and anxious to serve and make sure we were comfortable.  Access to my beverages of choice were plenty, there is nothing to complain about here!

My ribs and shoulder, basically my whole right side was still painful but the tour kept me busy and distracted.  There was so much to do and see that unless we were just sitting on a bus, I didn't have time to deal with the pain.  I feel blessed that I was able to enjoy everything!

Photos of the ship and views seen while cruising (in no particular order):

(the top deck.  I would find the sun, mom would find the shade)

(going under a bridge and I'm wondering if we're gonna clear it)


(lush green on the river banks)


( the ship had nightly entertainment.  They kept promising belly dancers but I think they must have been the very last night when we skipped the show and went to bed)


(before the last night's show, our educator for Israel and the rest of the tour S. Michael Wilcox joined us)




Things we saw from the ship while we cruised.  No particular landmarks just things I thought were cool:








(imagine somewhere along the banks, before they built barriers, Moses was placed in a basket and send down the river - pretty cool huh?)



( a fire off in the distance.  When it was asked what this was from, we were told it was nothing, but rumor was it was an outbreak of fighting)



(our cute steward - not a word of English but we could communicate with smiles)

( I finally felt brave enough get a pic of one of our guards with his machine gun)

(a souvenir I did pick up in Egypt - an authentic headdress)


(they were like a buck a piece so why not?)



No comments: