Saturday, December 2, 2017

Trip of a Life Time - Wrapping up Israel - Chapter 17

With over 700 pictures and so many places toured, I have lost track of what some days in the tour actually covered.  I am using our itinerary to help jog my memories, but I've discovered that I have some left over pictures that I don't know what day and what part of the experience they belong.  I don't want them ignored so in all their unknown glory:
I have no idea where this was taken or what it means, but I thought it interesting with the pictures of the men on it.

Inside one of the churches, there were these 2000+ year old columns

Inside another church

Ancient stones leading into a cavern below a church


Where David hid from Saul


An old church - I don't remember touring this one, but I must have liked the beauty of it


Inside the same church as the ancient columns, there were these massive, beautiful chandeliers from Russia

I can't remember where this was at, but there was scripture engraven on the dome shaped roller.  You could roll it around and it would imprint the scripture on to the sand



 I had to google what this means. and found the same image as well as the explanation

 Matthew 26:38 - Sustinete hicet vigilate mecum - Church of All Nations. Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me.



One evening we stopped at the site on the Jordan River, where many believe Jesus Christ was born
It was explained that since this was the Israel side, and Jesus sought John the Baptist that lived on the other side of the river, that this was not the actual site, but it is where many Christians pilgrimage to get baptized there.  I can understand the symbolism




Because it was night, there were no baptisms actually going on, but here is where they enter and perform them



Another night, some of us went to the next best store in Jersusalem, Jimmy's,  for buying olive wood and I found these treasures.

So this box is carved olive wood containing a replica of a widow's mite.  I gave each one of these to my daughter-in-love's with the thought that the widow gave all that she could and it was acceptable to the Lord.  Sometimes as women, we tend to make things complicated, difficult, and we are much harder on ourselves than we need to be.  Often, we feel like what we do is never enough.  I wanted for them to have them to remember, that as long as they give what they can, it is enough and the Lord accepts it,

In the LDS religion, we use consecrated oil (blessed with a certain prayer through the priesthood) to anoint the crown of a sick person and then with another prayer and the Spirit of God, we ask for special blessings.   Anything from asking for healing, to comfort, to allowing someone to pass, to specific needs.  The priesthood holder who is doing the blessing relies on inspiration from the Lord to say what He would say to the person if He were doing it.  It's a beautiful thing and brings comfort to so many of us.  
This is a carved vial holder out of olive wood.  I then had each of my boys names and my husband's engraved on them and I gave them to each of them as something special to hold their consecrated oil so that they always have some when needed.

I gave a set of praying hands to each of my grandkids with the thought and reminder to always say their prayers.  It can sit on their nightstand as a reminder every morning and night.   It can prompt them when they are scared, frustrated, sad, lonely, or anything other time they need comfort, to say a prayer and to let the Lord comfort them.


And then I found this beautiful nativity set.  I'm leaning towards the belief that Jesus was born in a cave like structure than a barn/stable.  Seeing how the landscape and structure is over there, it makes more sense to me.  I love this.  All carved out of olive wood


Funny story behind this heart.  I was negotiating pretty hard at Jimmy's with one of his salesmen.  He finally hit a price that he wouldn't budge from.  I was disappointed a little bit, and he could see it on my face.  As I agreed to the amount and was paying, Jimmy, the owner walked up to me and handed me this olive wood heart as a gesture of good will.  I love it.


Another morning we spent some time at the BYU Jerusalem Center
I think it's so funny that they used Mormon University in the description plaquard.  I guess most people really do know us more as "mormon's" rather than LDS or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.


Beautiful roses grown on the property

A pipe organ that a sweet volunteer there played three pieces on, and they were amazing


Just a cool fountain

a view of the grounds

Out on the balcony with Jerusalem in the background

an oil press.  The students use this an create their own olive oil

Another type of oil press





Overlooking Jerusalem






And I love this card that everyone on the bus was gifted with

So I finally broke down one day and decided to try this candy bar.  I was expecting a chocolate abar with nuts in it
Instead it was a dry, granola like bar.  And not tasty at all!



The very last night in Jerusalem (day 15), we packed up our stuff and got to leave the next for another border crossing into Jordan





No comments: